Thursday, July 15, 2010

Family Vacations

Family vacations are beautiful things.  As long as I can remember, I have loved the time away with my parents and siblings.  The road trip to our destination was always a highlight, despite the many fights and arguments and tears that occurred -- a natural result of eleven people being cramped together in one vehicle for hours on end.

Searching for license plates from every state with my sisters.
Watching the scenery of America pass by out the window.
Attempting to make sandwiches while my dad barreled down the interstate well above the speed limit.
My dad refusing to stop for potty breaks except at meals.
Arguing about who would sit in the dreaded back seat.
Reading too many books to count.
Blasting music from the terrible car speakers.
Harmonizing with my sisters to every song.
Complaining when my parents turned the music down (apparently it was always louder in the front seats, even when faded to the back).
Staying at sketchy motels with weird slogans, like "Stay Where the Stars Stay" in Nashville.

These are only a few of the things that consisted of a typical Morrow road trip.  I must say, in spite of the stress, cramped quarters, and inevitable conflict, I miss those times.

This year, Gabriel and I met my family in Colorado Springs, where we are staying with my aunt and uncle.  Unable to miss a lot of work, Drew joined us just yesterday evening.  In listening to my siblings and parents recount the fun (and horror) of the four-day road trip they took to get here, I cannot help but feel a little sad.

My solace lies in the hope that, one day, I will be able to recreate the road trips that will forever live fondly in my memories for my own children.  Yes, even the tears and creepy lodgings.

3 comments:

  1. I love this so much, Tay! And even though I was too young to remember...Stay Where the Stars Stay seemes really creepy...haha and I really missed you on our car trip! Our Morrow Road Trips are never the same without you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Tay? I sent you an email and did you get it? Also, I replied to your comment that you wrote on my blog, recently. Thanks! Love you! Cannot wait to see you at Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me cry, sis. I miss your presence during every single one of our road trips. I cannot help but be reminded that I will most likely be the next one to miss out on the infamous memories with the 15 passenger van. I will definitely strive, as you and Drew are, to relay those scenarios in my family...some traditions just CAN'T die.

    I love you. And I miss having you as a constant in our life here in Virginia. <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...