Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Shampoo Free

I have to say that I am intrigued by the idea of not using shampoo.

Enough so to want to try it.

I came across this idea while browsing Pinterest one day.  Actually, I found a link to natural face cleansing, which I've started (and LOVE).  Linked from that post was the one about going off shampoo.

The idea is that shampoo gets rid of the oil that your scalp makes.  And now you're thinking, "Well, duh!"  BUT... that oil is good for you.  It protects your skin and keeps it from drying out.

It's like a never-ending cycle:  you wash your hair to get rid of the oil, but your scalp responds by creating more oil.  The more you wash, the more oil is produced.  I'm simplifying it a lot, but if you're interested in more information, read Tsh's original blog about it here.

With this natural shampoo-free method, you use baking soda and water to cleanse your scalp.

Baking soda!

Instead of stripping your scalp of the oil it works so hard to create, baking soda only removes the dirt and sweat.  It takes a few weeks, but gradually your scalp will get used to not having to produce as much oil and it'll only make what is needed.

Tsh actually has some other great suggestions for all natural beauty products.  Like using lanolin as lip balm?  Who knew??  And coconut oil as lotion or moisturizer?  I'm in awe.

I'm all about all-natural stuff.  Ask anyone!  And when you can do all natural and save money?!  Count me in!!

Anyway.  I'm way excited about trying out this new method of hair care.  I would have already switched over, but for the fact that I had just bought a new bottle of shampoo before I found the idea. :| Lame, right?  And when you consider that I only wash my hair 2-ish times a week, this stuff is lasting for.ev.er!

I'm contemplating giving my shampoo to Drew when he runs out so that I can switch.  Then when we're completely out of shampoo, I'm going to see if he'll switch with me.

We'll see. ;)

I'll keep y'all updated as the year progresses!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...