Thursday, March 04, 2010

Easy Roast Beef

Last night, I made Drew’s favorite meal:  roast beef with mashed potatoes and baked asparagus.  It was pretty bangin’, if I do say so myself. ;) Anyway, the roast turned out so well that I thought I’d share my “secret family recipe.”  It’s apparently not as secret as my chocolate chip cookies.

In any case, this roast was originally perfected by Drew’s grandmother, who passed it down to her daughter-in-law (Drew’s mom, in case you weren’t following), who passed it down to me.  It’s incredibly simple and almost impossible to overcook; although admittedly, it does taste better when it’s tender (I would know—I left it in too long the first few times).

Start out with a good cut of round rump roast.  You will know it’s a good cut if there is a thick layer of fat on one side—the thicker the better!  (Mine is only mediocre in fat thickness, but meh.)  In order to prepare it for the oven, all you have to do is put salt and pepper on each side of the roast.  It helps to pat it into the meat.  It's kind of impossible to put too much pepper.  I always pepper conservatively because I don't like it, but Drew's mom puts a TON, and it always tastes amazing. :)


After you're done salting and peppering, stick the roast in a 9x13 and put it in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour per pound.  This roast was two pounds, so I cooked it for a little under two hours.  Just so you know, a two pound roast for two people will result in LOTS of leftovers.  I would recommend getting a one to one-and-a-half pounder.  Honestly, I asked for one of those at Tom Thumb, but they gave me a two-pound rump.  Oh, well.  We like leftovers.

After it's done cooking, the roast needs to sit and "rest" for about twenty-thirty minutes, so I don't usually start making the side items until it's already out.  After it has rested, carve away and enjoy!


(As you can see from the picture, my roast flopped over and refused to cook fat-side up.  If this happens, don't panic.  I just flipped it to the other side half-way through cooking and everything turned out fine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...